Crafts...Creations...Life....Unraveled!




Aug 2, 2010

Tie-Dye Cake....YUM!

I have seen all sorts of really cool cakes out there...unfortunately...I am NOT a "creative" cake maker!!
but...
ALL those colorful cakes I've seen...i figured i could DEFINITELY do one of those...so I gave it a try!
This past weekend my family celebrated 3 birthdays...my son who just turned 8,my daughter who will be turning 9 tomorrow, and mine!!
YES! I had my first born child on my birthday!! 
She was the BEST gift EVER!!!
NOW
on to the cake....
first...
i got some of this...
this stuff works WAAAAY better than the liquid food coloring...here's why...
with the liquid you have to use like 100 drops to get a nice vibrant color...right?!
with the gel...a little goes a loooong ways!!!
In this case...I was coloring cake batter...not frosting so I did have to use a "bit" more gel...
here's a little hint...
to get the TRUE color on the box...use a WHITE cake mix and DO only use the egg whites...yellow cake mixes or using the egg yokes in a white cake...gives you the colors you will see here...hence the "tip"!LOL
Yellow turned out great!!!
This is "red"... in the picture it looks dark pink...but it actually was pretty much red!
Blue...this one turned out to be more of a turquoise...which was VERY pretty...but if you want blue...follow my "tip"!hehe
the "green" I had to add a bit more gel...to get it this dark!!! It sure is a pretty green though!!
Here are all the colors!! WOOP WOOP!!
So...what do ya say we throw(or layer) it all together now?!
for this part...I just did WHATEVER I felt like doing...
this is how it went...
I poured ALL the yellow on one side of my 9x13 pan and ALL the red onto the other!
*here's a cake making tip for ya...I use to HATE box cakes for the fact that i thought they were always dry and airy tasting...one day I stumbled across a tip on the WONDERFUL web that said for boxed cake mixes to make them more dense and moist ALWAYS add 1/2 C. of veg. oil(the directions usually only call for 1/3 or 1/4C),mix the batter just till it's mixed. (sorta like pancake batter..and the "powder pockets" are fine to have) well...let me tell you what...THAT was a GREAT tip...the cake was DELISH!)*
next...
the last 2 colors i poured onto the bottom 2 colors...(stating the obvious hey?!)
then I took a butter knife and swirled them together...going the long way...
then
going diagonal one way...then diagonal the other way...
be careful that you don't do too much "swirling" the colors can mix too much and you may end up with some "brown" cake in spots...not like I would know...LOL!!
Here it is ALL done...and ready for ME to EAT!! YUM YUM!!!
SO go ahead and have FUN with some
ice cream and CAKE and CAKE!!!!
(do you see where it turned brown?? hence the "tip"! HAHA!)
Happy Birthday to my beloveds!!

Have a great "last month" of summer vacation all you Unraveling people!!

I am working on a "castle princess" birthday party for my soon to be 9 year old...It is gonna be LOADS of girly fun...
BUT
does ANYONE have any good ideas for an older girl princess party??
I am making crown's/tiara's for them(they are turning out SO cute!)
and I have a friend coming to put their hair in up-do's...that's all I have planned so far!
I know it's down to the wire...i "work" better under pressure!!LOL!!
I will for SURE post pictures NEXT week!! 

4 comments:

Teresa Matson said...

I want a piece of cake, NOW!

Kristi said...

Very neat cake!!!! Have fun at the birthday party sounds pretty neat!!!

RedBettySummer said...

What a great idea. Your cake is so beautiful. This is definately a must-do as a tribute to all those tie-dyed shirts we've made over the years. Thanks so much for posting. Your photos are great.

Xenia said...

Yum! I'm definitely going to have to give this a try soon, how fun and tasty! I'll just have to remember your tips :)

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog